Thursday, December 06, 2007

My faith restored in Journalist integrity

A few weeks ago I called the editor and reporter Matt Gieger for the Middleton Times Tribune. He said he was planning to do a series of interviews with newcomers to Middleton ( I moved from Madison to Middleton in mid July of 07). He was interested in getting a cross section of political beliefs and he had called the Republican Party of Dane County (RPDC) and asked if there was someone he could interview who lived in Middleton. The Chairman of RPDC called me and asked me to contact Mr. Geiger to see if I would do for an interview. Mr. Geiger said yes and we set up an interview in mid November. The article, (with picture even!) is here, and in the lead link above. It is and embarrassingly long article, much more than I expected, so I hesitate out of (false) modesty to recommend it to you! I had been badly burned in the past- during the first Gulf War - by a reporter from the Cap. Times- the Progressive late afternoon paper in Madison. He seemed very friendly, kidded around a lot and then wrote a hit piece. So I was a bit worried history would repeat itself. Mr Gieger is a young guy, writes very well, articulate and is naturally outgoing with a warm personality and easy laughter. I actually had a ball sipping coffee and talking politics- and of course EVERYONE likes to talk about themselves - so the interview was fun and he even took a picture. The long interview and photo appeared today (Thurs Dec 6, 07) and I went to Walgreens to pick up a copy around noon, since my subscription arrives by mail around 4;30 pm. I read the interview and my faith in journalism- for this interview at the very least - was restored. Mr. Geiger did not bend, twist, take things out of context or indulge in what I call "agenda journalism" forcing the story to confirm an agenda the reporter wants to deliver. It was accurate, honest, and he simply reported the questions he asked and my replies. It was great to work with someone with integrity in a field that has been, in my opinion, sacrificing reporting facts, and both or many sides of a story and letting the reader decide - sacrificing that integrity to write an opinion piece instead of a balanced story. In the NY Times, Washington Post, and the Wisconsin State Journal whenever I see "analysis" on a front page story I know it is a hit piece. One sided and straight opinion unfettered by facts or opposing points of view. Not so with Mr. Geiger. He is an honest, hard working old fashioned reporter with integrity. To quote Mr. Spock may you Matt Geiger, "Live Long and prosper" !

No comments: